1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 09:502 edits
    When I was 12 I used some of my allowance from mowing lawns to see Dr. No and Goldfinger at our local theatre. This series, taken from Ian Fleming's books is now a relic of the cold war. From the 1960's through yesterday, I rarely missed a Bond film, and though the concept of a dashing, womanizing, secret agent with his electronic gadgets, fast cars, and license to kill, saving the world was pretty unrealistic, it was nevertheless sad to see it all finally end nearly 60 years. Bond is dead.

I'm going to have a vodka martini on the rocks - shaken, not stirred. 😢
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 18:07
    @mchill said
    When I was 12 I used some of my allowance from mowing lawns to see Dr. No and Goldfinger at our local theatre. This series, taken from Ian Fleming's books is now a relic of the cold war. From the 1960's through yesterday, I rarely missed a Bond film, and though the concept of a dashing, womanizing, secret agent with his electronic gadgets, fast cars, and license to kill, savi ...[text shortened]... years. Bond is dead.

So the Bond series is fiction. It's still fiction, so how is it dead? Do you mean the quality isn't as high? That's fair comment. But is it dead? Current and future moviegoers will have the last word on that.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 05:19
    @suzianne said
    So the Bond series is fiction. It's still fiction, so how is it dead? Do you mean the quality isn't as high? That's fair comment. But is it dead? Current and future moviegoers will have the last word on that.
    No Time to Die - The latest Bond film released yesterday. James Bond dies at the end of the film. There is no more James Bond.
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 09:45
    @mchill said
    No Time to Die - The latest Bond film released yesterday. James Bond dies at the end of the film. There is no more James Bond.
    I thought the same thing in "You Only Live Twice".

Having a female Bond doesn't bother me in the least. She's a fictional heroine.

However, historical/period pieces which erroneously portray "strong women" where none have existed are annoying.

I remember such an annoyance while viewing "First
    Man".
    I sincerely doubt that Neil Armstrong's first wife behaved in such a manner.

"Jane" Bond is an interesting concept. I doubt we've seen the last of her.

Bottom line: All things are possible in fiction.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 19:30
    @mchill said
    James Bond has "died" before.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 12:42
    @mchill said
    When I was 12 I used some of my allowance from mowing lawns to see Dr. No and Goldfinger at our local theatre. This series, taken from Ian Fleming's books is now a relic of the cold war. From the 1960's through yesterday, I rarely missed a Bond film, and though the concept of a dashing, womanizing, secret agent with his electronic gadgets, fast cars, and license to kill, savi ...[text shortened]... years. Bond is dead.

President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet : Can I tell you what's messed up about James Bond?

Charlie Young : Nothing.

President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet : Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 13:29
    @zahlanzi said
    President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet : Can I tell you what's messed up about James Bond?

Charlie Young : Nothing.

President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet : Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.
    One of the most arrogant and ignorant take-downs of an intentionally rough character by an ill-written smarmy politician ever.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 03:47
    @mchill
    Don't worry, they will figure a way to make him live again. Top secret clone like in the Woody Allen movie where the dictator was cloned from his nose🙂
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 04:381 edit
    They managed to reincarnate Sherlock Holmes long before movie series were invented. Then there's Doctor Who ...
    If there's a dollar to be made, Bond will be immortal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree