1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 22:581 edit
    Mieczyslaw Weinberg is a composer that may not be familiar to many, but his string quartets are exemplary.

Recently I acquired the complete cycle by the Quatuor Danel.

Thus far the third volume is my favorite. You can listen to it in its entirety here:
    YouTube&list=PLtGGool7n1cO2hsXt0EyJroUYbX2SUQBF

Any other recommendations?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 19:031 edit
    aOriginally posted by @thinkofone
    Mieczyslaw Weinberg is a composer that may not be familiar to many, but his string quartets are exemplary.

Recently I acquired the complete cycle by the Quatuor Danel.

Thus far the third volume is my favorite. You can listen to it in its entirety here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-e0Hfr_OI&list=PLtGGool7n1cO2hsXt0EyJroUYbX2SUQBF

Any other recommendations?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5OsuzSXU-k

You have to bear with it. Crumb can be a shock to the system.(Sorry it's not a Quartet. Just a recommendation).
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 23:411 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

You have to bear with it. Crumb can be a shock to the system.(Sorry it's not a Quartet. Just a recommendation).
    Actually I listen to a lot of very modern music - through composed, improvised and everything between - so I'm not sure there's much that would shock my system anymore.

Black Angels is the one Crumb composition of which I am familiar. I think I saw it performed live years ago. Of course you could have picked a less jarring realization, but I suspect that that was the point for you.

What did you think of the Weinberg quartets.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 11:23
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Actually I listen to a lot of very modern music - through composed, improvised and everything between - so I'm not sure there's much that would shock my system anymore.

Black Angels is the one Crumb composition of which I am familiar. I think I saw it performed live years ago. Of course you could have picked a less jarring realization, but I suspect that that was the point for you.

What did you think of the Weinberg quartets.
    Unfortunately the video was blocked and unavailable. (Blocked in country).
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 14:34
    Unfortunately the video was blocked and unavailable. (Blocked in country).
    That's unfortunate. Give this one a try YouTube. It's from a later volume.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 15:04
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    That's unfortunate. Give this one a try [youtube]YM9Gk1_ZEMU[/youtube]. It's from a later volume.
    Hey, not bad. (9 minutes and 13 minutes in were even flashes of Crumb). A little longer though than things I would normally listen to.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 22:271 edit
    Of the really modern string quartets, Morton Feldman's String Quartet (II) is my hands down favorite.

You can listen to it in its entirety here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiWr8HoKaakjC3U4t0ivjX2zfhgcA0obM

GoaD should probably pass on this one. At around 5 hours in a single movement, it may be too much of a shock to his system.
  8. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 07:43

Listened to this twice, and have to say the second hearing bore great fruit. Never having heard of George Crumb before I entered the experience with open and virgin ears. Conceptual music can, to my rather traditional ears, be pretentious and irritating. However, I have to say I enjoyed parts of this enormously. Thank you for the recommendation - always keen to discover new music.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Apr '18 15:14
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Listened to this twice, and have to say the second hearing bore great fruit. Never having heard of George Crumb before I entered the experience with open and virgin ears. Conceptual music can, to my rather traditional ears, be pretentious and irritating. However, I have to say I enjoyed parts of this enormously. Thank you for the recommendation - always keen to discover new music.
    You're welcome. I'm glad you gave it a second listen.I think 'challenging' music invariably requires that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree