1. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 18:09
    “Nothing can be compared to the new life that the discovery of another country provides for a thoughtful person. Although I am still the same I believe to have changed to the bones.”
    —Johann Wolfgang Goethe (1749-1832)

In 38 days, i intend to board a plane and journey to the birthplace of the quote’s author and travel onward to the town Goethe spent the rest of his life. My accommodations are on the property that holds the remains of the great man and many of his friends and associates, including the woman with whom he corresponded for twelve years and whose voice I wish to hear more clearly.

With focused work and a great deal of luck, I hope to write enough of a proposal for an historical novel that will interest an agent when I return. In any case, I’m looking forward to the change Goethe promised.

How has travel changed your own life?
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 11:511 edit
    @hakima said
    “Nothing can be compared to the new life that the discovery of another country provides for a thoughtful person. Although I am still the same I believe to have changed to the bones.”
    —Johann Wolfgang Goethe (1749-1832)

In 38 days, i intend to board a plane and journey to the birthplace of the quote’s author and travel onward to the town Goethe spent the rest of his life. M ...[text shortened]... ny case, I’m looking forward to the change Goethe promised.

There have been two particular occasions:

The first was while standing on the battlefield at Asan Point, Guam. It was a few weeks after the battle's 40th Anniversary and I had the whole site to myself. As an irreverent youth, it was the first time in my life that I understood the delicate, finite nature of my existence.

The second was on a very cold morning after partying all night during Carnevale. I was all alone on the Piazza di San Marco in Venezia. The sun had barely risen. There I stood, in this historic place. Lost and freezing. I'd been on my way to find the "stazione" and practically stumbled onto the piazza. I cannot describe my specific emotion of that moment but to say it was profound and life-altering.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 19:08
    Visiting USA broadened my horizons, especially New York.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 23:042 edits
    @hakima

I was born in the USA, studied in the UK, and every semester break visited some foreign city (Athens, Dublin, Paris, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, ...). When my studies were finished, I stayed in Europe. I’m still here.

Bravo on your reading Goethe. When I read the maxims of la Rochefoucauld, I see an image of mankind as he often is but not yet all that he could be; something incomplete, staggering yet haughty. When I read the maxims of Goethe, I see an image much more nearly complete, graceful and confident, yet confidently humbled. One could almost think they were referring to two different species, or the same species separated by ten thousand years.

Now, a quote from Goethe himself: “ Some questions cannot be given simple answers, but some minds cannot be given complex ones; therein lies a difficulty.”
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 14:56
    @moonbus said
    @hakima

I was born in the USA, studied in the UK, and every semester break visited some foreign city (Athens, Dublin, Paris, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, ...). When my studies were finished, I stayed in Europe. I’m still here.

Bravo on your reading Goethe. When I read the maxims of la Rochefoucauld, I see an image of mankind as he often is but not yet all that he could b ...[text shortened]... ot be given simple answers, but some minds cannot be given complex ones; therein lies a difficulty.”
    Thanks for the prompting. I regret that I have been ignorant of Goethe's philosophies during my lifetime. He sounds like someone I should read more about. 🙂
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 18:23
    @WOLFE63
    He was a polymath. Intellectually, in a class with Leonardo and Aristotle.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 19:42
    @moonbus said
    @WOLFE63
    He was a polymath. Intellectually, in a class with Leonardo and Aristotle.
    Not even close. He had a way with words, but his sentiments were trite and whenever he tried his hands at real science, he failed abjectly.

Give me Schiller any day of the week.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 23:04
    @Shallow-Blue

Perhaps if you knew more about him, you would revise your opinion.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/goethe/
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '20 20:56
    @moonbus said
    @Shallow-Blue

Perhaps if you knew more about him, you would revise your opinion.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/goethe/
    I'm sorry, but no. For one, that source - as do most Humanities critics - take his "theory of colours" seriously. Nobody who knows the slightest bit about science still does so, and pretending that Goethe was a genius or even anything more than a wannabe philosopher is a sure mark of an Englightenment pseudo-scientist. It's harsh, I know, but sometimes you just have to knock the pretenders down to what they're really worth - and Goethe was worth more than Schiller as a playwright, but less than him as a poet, and less than just about anyone as a scientist, philosopher, or thinker-in-general.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '20 23:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    31 Jan '20 01:321 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Good God woman. This thread is about Goethe.

Stop injecting every potentially interesting thread with your three primary distraction devices.

Now go Google Goethe, formulate an opinion and return with something interesting to say regarding him. Sheeesh!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '20 03:572 edits

13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    31 Jan '20 10:44
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What? Are you thinking that you're being clever again?

Look moron, Moonbus was making a comparison. You know what a comparison is, don't you?

Please stop the annoying interruptions. It would be nice to have normal conversation without your petty compulsion to show that you're the smartest person on every subject in every forum.
    You're not the most educated or stable personality here, but I'm certain that you can adjust your tone to suit. Please do so.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '20 21:19

15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Feb '20 21:172 edits
    @shallow-blue said
    I'm sorry, but no. For one, that source - as do most Humanities critics - take his "theory of colours" seriously. Nobody who knows the slightest bit about science still does so, and pretending that Goethe was a genius or even anything more than a wannabe philosopher is a sure mark of an Englightenment pseudo-scientist. It's harsh, I know, but sometimes you just have to k ...[text shortened]... n him as a poet, and less than just about anyone as a scientist, philosopher, or thinker-in-general.
    Every thinker is entitled to make mistakes. Lamarck made mistakes, too, but no one denies him the title of "scientist" on that account.

Goethe's work on colors starts from the premise that physics alone does not account for all the phenomena we associate with color, but that subjects' perceptions of them are necessarily part of what constitutes color. This is not a silly idea, though Goethe did not get all the details right. (Similarly, sweet and bitter can't be fully explained by chemistry alone, without reference to how people taste -- otherwise everyone would respond identically to the same chemical stimuli, which they don't.)

Goethe completed a degree in law, though he chose not to practise.

He engaged in civic activities and was responsible for overseeing a mining operation, a grand duke's finance ministry, war and roads commission, the local theater, and the construction of a park.

He did work in biology, botany, pharmacology, and anatomy. He is credited with having discovered and identified the intermaxillary bone — it's in your mouth.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-for-the-history-of-science/article/goethe-and-the-intermaxillary-bone/FF8BB73A33FD0D0C6F0B9891BDE4F538

This discovery was not trivial; prior to Goethe's discovery of this bone, it was thought that only apes and other lower mammals had this bone but that humans did not. Goethe's discovery firmly put humans in an evolutionary line with apes, and therefore constitutes a significant contribution to scientific knowledge about evolution.

Such a broad range of interests and accomplishments qualify Goethe as a polymath, despite the failure of his theory of colors to convince physicists of its relevance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree