Films

SubscriberTorunn
Culture 26 Apr '21 15:47
  1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Apr '21 15:47
    I'm starting a new thread as the previous was unavailable.

"The Hateful Eight" by Quentin Tarantino (2015). It stars Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins, Demián Bichir, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, and Bruce Dern.

Has anybody here seen it?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 04:13
    @torunn said

"The Hateful Eight" by Quentin Tarantino (2015). It stars Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins, Demián Bichir, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, and Bruce Dern.

I am a Tarentino fan, and I've seen most of his stuff back to Reservoir Dogs (I did miss the last one due to the pandemic, I hope to catch it when it comes to Netflix). The Hateful Eight is classic Tarentino and is just as enjoyable as all the others.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 May '21 07:09
    @suzianne said
    I am a Tarentino fan, and I've seen most of his stuff back to Reservoir Dogs (I did miss the last one due to the pandemic, I hope to catch it when it comes to Netflix). The Hateful Eight is classic Tarentino and is just as enjoyable as all the others.
    When I started watching, I wasn't aware it was a Tarantino production - the opening scene reminded me of Fargo by The Coen brothers. Great acting, clever story which was built on violence, a bit much for me.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 May '21 07:10
    @suzianne said
    YouTube

Seen this?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '21 10:561 edit
    @torunn said
    When I started watching, I wasn't aware it was a Tarantino production - the opening scene reminded me of Fargo by The Coen brothers. Great acting, clever story which was built on violence, a bit much for me.
    Violence is a key part of any Tarentino film.

I like his clever dialogue, yes.

And it was Django that made me a DiCaprio fan.

Always liked Kurt Russell, glad to see him in The Hateful Eight.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '21 11:11
    @trev33 said
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MUbRZSg80

Seen this?
    No, I've never seen this. I'll have to come back to this when I have more time. He seems young here, 1987 was 7 years before Pulp Fiction. Still, this is classic Tarentino.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 May '21 20:17
    @torunn said

It’s a great movie but if you don’t like Tarantino or violence then you’re not going to like it. Some great actors though, interesting John travolta was never used again, Or Bruce Willis, maybe they were asked and didn't want to. Tarantino likes to use the same actors, Christoph Waltz was great in Danjo Unchained and inglorious basterds.

It’s a thread worthy for itself, the best Tarantino movie, imo there’s a group of 4 or 5 at the top that you can’t really separate.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 May '21 20:19
    @suzianne said
    No, I've never seen this. I'll have to come back to this when I have more time. He seems young here, 1987 was 7 years before Pulp Fiction. Still, this is classic Tarentino.
    It’s worth a watch, feels like it’s missing some scenes, or they were cut short but it’s a nice insight into early Tarantino.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    02 May '21 07:442 edits
    @Trev33
    Travolta and Willis are both great actors, not always used to their full potential.

Yesterday I watched for the second time a maybe not so well known movie - 'Cop Land' a 1997 American neo-noir crime drama film written and directed by James Mangold, and starring Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, and Robert De Niro. The supporting cast features Peter Berg, Janeane Garofalo, Edie Falco, Robert Patrick, Michael Rapaport, Annabella Sciorra, Cathy Moriarty, Arthur Nascarella, and John Spencer.
    The big surprise is Stallone - his understated performance was praised by critics and he received the Best Actor award at the Stockholm International Film Festival.
  10. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    02 May '21 08:59
    I've only just seen the advert for Fargo, and It's now on my list of things to watch as a series, and if I can get it on Netflix I'll have a look for the Hateful Eight.

Snow Piercer is quite an interesting series, quite addictive once you start.

Thanks for the ideas :-)
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    02 May '21 09:26
    @medullah said
    I've only just seen the advert for Fargo, and It's now on my list of things to watch as a series, and if I can get it on Netflix I'll have a look for the Hateful Eight.

I have watched Fargo as movie with fine acting by Frances McDormand, Peter Stormare, William H Macey, Steve Buscemi and many others. It's a great film.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    16 May '21 01:05
    I appreciate the recommendations in this thread. I don't like Tarantino yet, and maybe I never will, but time will tell. I have been that way about some other things, where it was a matter of waiting for the right time when I would appreciate them.

As for Kurt Russell, I think my favorite movie of his is Big Trouble in Little China. (David Lo Pan -- hahaha -- cameraman joke)

And, as you might know, Kurt R's and Goldie Hawn's son Wyatt (Hawn) Russell is also an actor, who is the main viewpoint character in AMC's wonderful series Lodge 49 (which can be seen on Hulu).

I should watch Fargo sometime. I wish I had seen original Oldboy when it was available for streaming.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 May '21 23:03
    @torunn said

I said in the other thread, I think it's by far his worst movie. It's like he was trying to mix the style of Django with the character-driven (and violent) style of Reservoir Dogs, but fell flat.

I understand what QT was going for and I applaud his continual penchant for the avant-garde. This movie was chore to get through.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 May '21 05:48
    @medullah said

I saw the movie Snowpiercer (2013). It seems very complete to me, I'm not sure what more a series could add to the story to make it many times as long.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree