films

Subscriberbrush
Culture 27 Oct '20 15:23
  1. Joined
    22 Jan '12
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 15:23
    Just seen 'Queen's Gambit', the film of the book. Really enjoyed it. What are your favourite chess themed films?
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    02 Nov '20 13:50
    @brush said
    Just seen 'Queen's Gambit', the film of the book. Really enjoyed it. What are your favourite chess themed films?
    What other ones are there?

I liked the mini series too.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Dec '20 21:322 edits
    @brush said
    The Queens gambit is clearly my favorite (I wrote about it in the chess forum) My runner up pick would be the Great Chess Movie by by Gilles Carle and Camille Coudari (see link below) Other chess movies such as Pawn Sacrifice and Fresh I would put in the "average" category

JMHO - The most overrated chess movie is Searching for Bobby Fischer, it had a few good moments, but this movie portrayed Fischer as a mystical deity who would one day return like an angel of heaven to shock our planet with his brilliance. (yawn!) Yes, Fischer was a great chess talent; he was also a spoiled, self centered jerk that went off the deep end of the psych. cliff back in the 70's.

YouTube
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Dec '20 09:36
    @mchill said
    The Queens gambit is clearly my favorite (I wrote about it in the chess forum) My runner up pick would be the Great Chess Movie by by Gilles Carle and Camille Coudari (see link below) Other chess movies such as Pawn Sacrifice and Fresh I would put in the "average" category

JMHO - The most overrated chess movie is Searching for Bobby Fischer, it had a few good moments, but t ...[text shortened]... the deep end of the psych. cliff back in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrsQJCpP-w
    Some folks should have abstained from taking LSD in the 1960s. Bobby Fischer was one of them. 😳
  5. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    15 Dec '20 16:14
    @mchill

I agree with everything you said.

That's a first 🤔
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    17 Dec '20 01:48
    @mchill

Have you seen "Magnus"

The documentary about Carlsen?

They build it up good.

Like him facing Anand is the be all to end all.
    I've seen it 100 times and imagine being at that level. 🤗
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Dec '20 01:51
    @cheesemaster said
    @mchill

Have you seen "Magnus"

The documentary about Carlsen?

They build it up good.

Like him facing Anand is the be all to end all.
    I've seen it 100 times and imagine being at that level. 🤗
    No, not yet. It's on my bucket list.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 03:44
    Not exactly a chess film, but the original Thomas Crown Affair (very good film, at least as good as the remake) has a serious chess in it, parallelling the story being told.
  9. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    04 Jan '21 13:49
    Brainwashed, 1960 film, about a man locked in a room by Nazi interrogators with nothing to do in order to break him......he manages to steal a chess book and becomes absorbed with chess.....
    YouTube
  10. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    04 Jan '21 16:48
    Here's a wiki description of Brainwashed.....chess was a major component throughout the move:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashed_(film)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree