FF7 Remake

Standard membervivify
Culture 12 Mar '21 03:27
  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 03:27
    I finished this game a few weeks ago. I mostly enjoyed the game until nearing the end of it.

The battles are pretty fun, though I think they reuse the concept of bosses having multiple attack points too frequently. As far as the game play, my only real gripe is pointless side-quests you're required to do which for the most part aren't fun. The good outweighs the bad enough that the negatives didn't detract much from the game.

The real failing of FF7 Remake is in the story. If you played this as a kid like I did, the way this game ended was a severe disappointment. The entire game focuses on Midgar, the area of the original game that was only the beginning segment of a much larger epic. You don't get to explore the world like in the original, travel the ocean, fly in the sky, none of that.

The game spends too long on this section. At first, it's nice to see this part of the game get fleshed out, but it becomes dull after a while. The game introduced Sephiroth, the main villain, FAR too early. There's no build up to the villain, you see him immediately and quite frequently, in annoying "visions".

The final battle feels rushed. The battle with Sephiroth feels more obligatory that anything else. I remember thinking "no...this can't be almost over". Then the game ends, leaving you feeling empty.

The visuals are among the best in gaming history. It's too bad the story was botched here. The makers of the game apparently want to span the entire story of multiple games that are coming out god-knows-when. They should've released it as one complete game.

Overall, it was a good experience until the end.
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 09:56
    Thanks for the review.
    I've thought of playing Final Fantasy.
    I do like ARPG's.
    But I prefer them to be isometric and old-school.
    I cut my gaming teeth on Diablo and Diablo II many years ago.
    So I'm kind of set in my ways. Like an old man should be! 😀
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 15:27
    I can't play the old-school style of turn-based RPGs and grinding characters to level up. I've enjoyed many of those types of games (the original FF7 was one them), but it gets on my nerves now.

I guess I'm becoming an old man too.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 15:30
    @wolfe63 said
    I've thought of playing Final Fantasy.
    If you like the old-school style, you should start with Final Fantasy 6. Or if you're really old school, try Final Fantasy 4, for Nintendo. Excellent story line.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 08:14
    @vivify said
    If you like the old-school style, you should start with Final Fantasy 6. Or if you're really old school, try Final Fantasy 4, for Nintendo. Excellent story line.
    FF4 it is then?
    During the 1990's I had a very sweet co-worker who absolutely loved the FF Series. I remember how excited she became whenever a new game was soon to be released.

I prefer to play on a dedicated mobile device (a tablet) which is for gaming only. Is this possible with this early Final Fantasy game? I mean, is it possible to purchase and download any of them?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Mar '21 03:221 edit
    @wolfe63 said
    FF4 it is then?
    During the 1990's I had a very sweet co-worker who absolutely loved the FF Series. I remember how excited she became whenever a new game was soon to be released.

I prefer to play on a dedicated mobile device (a tablet) which is for gaming only. Is this possible with this early Final Fantasy game? I mean, is it possible to purchase and download any of them?
    I have no idea, not really a mobile gamer. I do know some classic games like Sonic are available for mobile devices; I think some 32-bit games (PS1 era) are available as well. So I don't see why you can't get the early FF games for mobile. Can't say for sure.

If all else fails, I don't think it would be too difficult to find a Nintendo emulator somewhere online, and maybe download it for free.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 18:07
    @vivify said
    I have no idea, not really a mobile gamer. I do know some classic games like Sonic are available for mobile devices; I think some 32-bit games (PS1 era) are available as well. So I don't see why you can't get the early FF games for mobile. Can't say for sure.

If all else fails, I don't think it would be too difficult to find a Nintendo emulator somewhere online, and maybe download it for free.
    Yeah, it looks like Google Play has the whole FF Series, but they're considered Premium.

Which just means one pays a nominal amount to buy each game. The reviews are mixed, however. Some lament some alterations made from the originals.

I'm mulling it over.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Mar '21 16:26
    My better half has a tablet and can download games. Some are free, but you have to be careful because some you have to pay for unless it doesn't matter to you.

-VR
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '21 11:17
    @vivify said
    I finished this game a few weeks ago. I mostly enjoyed the game until nearing the end of it.

The battles are pretty fun, though I think they reuse the concept of bosses having multiple attack points too frequently. As far as the game play, my only real gripe is pointless side-quests you're required to do which for the most part aren't fun. The good outweighs the bad e ...[text shortened]... They should've released it as one complete game.

Overall, it was a good experience until the end.
    Isn't the FF franchise up to like 16 or 17 now?

How do the newer ones compare? (I've never played any FF titles.)
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '21 11:19
    @very-rusty said
    My better half has a tablet and can download games. Some are free, but you have to be careful because some you have to pay for unless it doesn't matter to you.

-VR
    Hush, here's a tablet, maybe you can play Farmville or something, that should keep you busy.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 May '21 15:531 edit

Removed by poster

12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 May '21 08:451 edit
    @suzianne said
    Isn't the FF franchise up to like 16 or 17 now?

How do the newer ones compare? (I've never played any FF titles.)
    I think it's up to 16.

None of the FF titles I've played that were released after 7 were particularly good. The later titles focused on graphical realism, resulting in slower gameplay. I played FF8 and 12, and I played the demo for FF10, which didn't impress me much. I didn't play 15 but I know the reviews for the game were mediocre.

FF 6 & 7 are probably the best in the series, 7 being one the greatest games of all time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree