Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 16:12
    Looks like it may be pretty good.

I'll continue to hope for a film about samurai, Tomoe Gozen.
    Ever since reading the series of books about her by Jessica Amanda Salmonson during the 1980s; I've found female warriors intriguing.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 23:14
    @wolfe63 said

Ever since reading the series of books about her by Jessica Amanda Salmonson during the 1980s; I've found female warriors intriguing.
    https://screenrant.com/mulan-movie-2020-remake-better-no-songs/

"Disney's Mulan Remake Won't Be A Musical (And That's A Good Thing)"

"The 1998 version of Mulan as created by Disney is an odd beast. Like most films
    of the ‘90s Disney renaissance, it’s based on pre-existing material, but it wasn’t a
    story that would have been all that well-known to American and white audiences.
    The Ballad of Hua Mulan was first transcribed in a collection of Chinese ballads in
    the 6th century and, since then, it has endured as a cultural mainstay, with many
    film and television adaptations made over the decades. It made sense for Disney
    to want to have their own version of the story at a time when they were keen to
    get a foothold back in the burgeoning Chinese entertainment market after briefly
    being banned from the country. The final result is a popular film but one that is
    still very American and an awkward fit because of that.

As with all Disney-fied adaptations of classic stories and world cultures, the basic
    structure and themes of the Hua Mulan ballad were remolded to fit the company’s
    brand, and softened in a way that made the story more “universal”, which at the
    time mostly meant making it palatable for the presumed majority=white American
    audiences (see the depiction of Arab and Middle Eastern culture as a homogeneous
    mish-mash of various places and ideas in Aladdin, or how Belle’s France in Beauty
    and the Beast is a checklist of French stereotypes). For Mulan, that meant a cast of
    voice actors with American accents, the addition of a sassy talking animal sidekick
    (another of Disney’s favored tropes), and changes to the story that made it more
    like a Disney fairy-tale, such as the inclusion of an “I want something more” style
    song to give the protagonist new motivations. Sometimes it works, and other times
    it is a noticeably uncomfortable fit for this story. It’s also a questionable decision from a
    culturally appropriative standpoint, and one that Disney may be keen to avoid in the future."
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Gonzalo de Córdoba
    tinyurl.com/y3aahuno
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 01:15
    @wolfe63 said

I'm hoping they get a freckled redheaded Irish girl to play her
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 09:35
    @duchess64 said
    https://screenrant.com/mulan-movie-2020-remake-better-no-songs/

"Disney's Mulan Remake Won't Be A Musical (And That's A Good Thing)"

"The 1998 version of Mulan as created by Disney is an odd beast. Like most films
    of the ‘90s Disney renaissance, it’s based on pre-existing material, but it wasn’t a
    story that would have been all that well-known to American and whit ...[text shortened]... om a
    culturally appropriative standpoint, and one that Disney may be keen to avoid in the future."
    Yes, and because of this, I'm not a fan of Disney and their appropriation of various cultural tales.

The animation is engaging, but I'm worried that these movies are sending the wrong message to young girls watching these various "princesses". Most damaging, I think, is that these tales all are presented through the American lens. I think this fundamentally changes them. I'd rather see some enterprising studio try to present these tales in a way that does not try to American-ize them to make them suitable for Americans. This would be a profound loss. I know Disney has, in fact, already done this to some degree, and I find this inexcusable.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Jul '19 04:30
    @suzianne said
    Yes, and because of this, I'm not a fan of Disney and their appropriation of various cultural tales.

The animation is engaging, but I'm worried that these movies are sending the wrong message to young girls watching these various "princesses". Most damaging, I think, is that these tales all are presented through the American lens. I think this fundamentally changes them ...[text shortened]... nd loss. I know Disney has, in fact, already done this to some degree, and I find this inexcusable.
    Suzianne, it's good that you appreciate that not every
    culture should be presented as superficial variations of
    homogenized contemporary American culture.

One can imagine naive Americans exclaiming with
    delight, "We didn't know that the ancient Chinese
    act so much like us today!"

Do you wish that you could study karate in Japan rather
    than an Americanized form in the USA?