1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Mar '19 01:31
    Yes, I was part of the huge box office take for Captain Marvel on its opening weekend.

It was actually a date. I haven't had time for a real date in a long time. Finally a chance to dress up. And for me, that means an actual dress.

Finally, a new Marvel movie that I wasn't disappointed by. Normally, Marvel movies are just a good time. The last few, with the exception of Black Panther, just weren't all that. Maybe because they've been building them up for years, and so movies like Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War just seemed like so much "same old, same old". Disappointing. But Captain Marvel was something different. Finally a Marvel movie with a female lead, for one. I understand there is also a Black Widow movie finally in the works.

At the beginning of every Marvel movie, there is a sequence that flashes images from the comic books, and the live-action heroes until it transforms into the Marvel Studios logo. In the Captain Marvel sequence, practically every Stan Lee cameo from the movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe appears instead of the superheroes and it is an emotional sight. It finishes with a simple, "Thank You, Stan". The audience I was in burst into applause. Stan has his penultimate cameo in Captain Marvel. Rumor has it that his last cameo will be in Avengers: Endgame.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 05:32
    @suzianne said
    Yes, I was part of the huge box office take for Captain Marvel on its opening weekend.

It was actually a date. I haven't had time for a real date in a long time. Finally a chance to dress up. And for me, that means an actual dress.

Finally, a new Marvel movie that I wasn't disappointed by. Normally, Marvel movies are just a good time. The last few, with the except ...[text shortened]... penultimate cameo in Captain Marvel. Rumor has it that his last cameo will be in Avengers: Endgame.
    Not my kind of movie, but I saw this one on Sunday just to get out of the house for awhile. The special effects were pretty good, and I must admit that tight little outfit Brie Larson wore was hot!
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 08:411 edit
    @mchill said
    Not my kind of movie, but I saw this one on Sunday just to get out of the house for awhile. The special effects were pretty good, and I must admit that tight little outfit Brie Larson wore was hot!
    As a woman seeing Captain Marvel, what I got out of it is something that maybe men just won't "grok".

It was the message. The empowerment of women. This movie took place in 1995, before there were the Avengers. Before any superheroes. And here we saw, perhaps, the most powerful superhero of them all. But even this wasn't what I took home from the movie. The idea that women could stand on their own with men is not a new idea (I get that it is, for some men). What shone in this movie is that women could fail. Carol Danvers is shown failing in literally every era of her life. The new idea here is that this is okay, because failure is not the end of a dream, because you can, and will, get up again. It's about attitude. You only fail for good when you give up.
  4. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 07:191 edit
    @Suzianne
    I think Captain America is still the start of the MCU timeline because it took place in WWII. I enjoyed the film and definitely thought it rivalled DC's Wonder Woman, actually in many ways I enjoyed it more as Marvel's characters are always more humorous; more human. Looking forward to seeing Danvers again in End Game next month.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 07:39
    @benjamin-barker said
    @Suzianne
    I think Captain America is still the start of the MCU timeline because it took place in WWII. I enjoyed the film and definitely thought it rivalled DC's Wonder Woman, actually in many ways I enjoyed it more as Marvel's characters are always more humorous; more human. Looking forward to seeing Danvers again in End Game next month.
    I find it encouraging that both Marvel's and DC's first women superhero movies were such a success.

I can't wait now for Endgame. I was kinda "ho-hum" about it, but this is what was needed to breathe life into it.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 07:35
    Fandango just reported today via Twitter that the run time for The Avengers: Endgame is a whopping 3 hours and 2 minutes, making it the longest Marvel Studios film ever.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 May '19 12:29
    @suzianne said
    Fandango just reported today via Twitter that the run time for The Avengers: Endgame is a whopping 3 hours and 2 minutes, making it the longest Marvel Studios film ever.
    I am pretty sure I'd fall asleep!!! 😉

-VR
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 May '19 12:55
    @suzianne said

Finally, a new Marvel movie that I wasn't disappointed by. Normally, Marvel movies are just a good time. The last few, with the except ...[text shortened]... penultimate cameo in Captain Marvel. Rumor has it that his last cameo will be in Avengers: Endgame.
    Happy for you that your finally got to wear a dress!!!! 😉

-VR
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 May '19 07:05
    @suzianne said
    Stan has his penultimate cameo in Captain Marvel. Rumor has it that his last cameo will be in Avengers: Endgame.
    You can't miss Stan Lee's last Marvel cameo in Endgame.

Far enough in so that I forgot all about looking for it, but it still made me laugh out loud when it came.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 May '19 09:07
    Using movies to represent social justice issues is just a form of propaganda.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree