1. Standard memberMaxtheminnow
    Gone Fishing
    England
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 11:00
    We had a challenge issued last week by a page one clan. At face value the current ratings seemed reasonable, and the average worked out. However, a click of the ‘info’ button clearly highlighted that 3 of the players had current ratings 300 points lower than their 1 year-rating. Probably some of the biggest sandbagging I’ve ever seen. I didn’t bother batting this back, just declined it and moved on.

What did surprise me though is that this particular clan has other challenges just underway that includes these players, and therefore the accepting clan leader must have been happy to agree to challenges that they are clearly going to lose! My guys would’ve been most unhappy if I’d set them up to fail like that!

So, I see a lot of messages about ‘unfair challenges’, but the bottom line is that the current, 90-day, year and TER ratings for each challenge are clear to see, the clan leader is not forced to accept, and can either bounce it with revised players or just decline it and move on.

Why do clan leaders accept unfair challenges?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 13:15
    @maxtheminnow said
    We had a challenge issued last week by a page one clan. At face value the current ratings seemed reasonable, and the average worked out. However, a click of the ‘info’ button clearly highlighted that 3 of the players had current ratings 300 points lower than their 1 year-rating. Probably some of the biggest sandbagging I’ve ever seen. I didn’t bother batting this back, j ...[text shortened]... ith revised players or just decline it and move on.

I don't know the need for a new thread when it can all be said in the other Clan thread.

I think it is just human nature to try and get games they can win, or think they can win. Lemon does it all the time.

I prefer an evenly matched Challenge. Especially in bigger ones, Clan Leaders are going to have decisions to make in their pairings, may at time have to throw someone under the bus to get the Challenge.

New Clan Leaders as a rule don't have the experience. It also helps if a Clan Leader knows their opponents weaknesses as well as their own players, which making the challenges becomes easier. You don't gain this experience in a year or two, it takes many years to acquire this. Some Clan Leaders just never get there or simply are not willing to put in all the work it takes.

We are fortunate to have had the run we have had. I give our Clan Leader and new Clan Leader a lot of the credit, also it couldn't be done without the Clan members actually winning their games.

-VR
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 18:44
    From your description it must be the usual suspects ie Metallica 🙁 🙁 🙁

Some folk never learn
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 18:58
    @mctayto said
    From your description it must be the usual suspects ie Metallica 🙁 🙁 🙁

Some folk never learn
    mctayto with your history, I hope you did learn something!

-VR
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 19:01
    @very-rusty said
    mctayto with your history, I hope you did learn something!

-VR
    he always has and still speaks the truth
  6. Standard memberMaxtheminnow
    Gone Fishing
    England
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 19:362 edits
    I didn't name the clan as I felt it would detract from the points I was making. But just to clarify I was not referring to Metallica.

The bottom line is that there is obvious sandbagging taking place and by continuing to accept loaded challenges some clan leaders are, by default, condoning it. These aren't newbie clan leaders like myself either.

I think its worthy of a thread but if not it will soon die out.

I hope it will result in an adult discussion and certainly not drag up the past (of which I'm not really party to nor interested in)

I note that I have received 1 thumbs down ... and I can't think what I put in the original post that warrants a thumbs down ..
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 19:541 edit
    @lemondrop said
    he always has and still speaks the truth
    LOL@ lemon, you can't be serious, but lets not take away from what the OP is trying to say in this thread. We know mctayto has cheated in the past and you were a part of it, this was sandbagging which is being talked about now. This is something we've gotten rid of and don't want to see back.

To the OP I am not trying to ruin your thread, but want the facts to be honest.

-VR
  8. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 20:191 edit
    @maxtheminnow said
    We had a challenge issued last week by a page one clan. At face value the current ratings seemed reasonable, and the average worked out. However, a click of the ‘info’ button clearly highlighted that 3 of the players had current ratings 300 points lower than their 1 year-rating. Probably some of the biggest sandbagging I’ve ever seen. I didn’t bother batting this back, j ...[text shortened]... ith revised players or just decline it and move on.

some clan leaders don't want to spend much time in arranging matches
    others will put in a lot of time and effort
    the top clan leaders will look for an edge
    the great ones like myself will push it to the limit and beyond

edit: forgot the smiley face

🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree