1. Standard memberMaxtheminnow
    Gone Fishing
    England
    Moves
    31 Dec '21 23:56
    While I still believe that the Clan system is the best chess community (Chess.com & Lichess don’t have anything that compares), it is obvious to me that it has become flawed and hence open to abuse. I say this from a position of having no axe to grind given IVV has just finished as top clan of 2021.

I see the number of clans have reduced to 5 pages, where at one stage there were over 30 pages. My guess is the number of clans will continue to reduce, unless there are some radical changes.

Firstly, sandbagging needs to be eradicated. This is easily done by introducing a Clan Entry Rating (CER) similar to TER. Only clan games affect the CER. This will significantly reduce the amount of sandbagging. Over the years ‘some clans’ have systemically abused the current ratings system, and this has undoubtedly aided a monopoly of the clan system.

Secondly, the points system is too heavily geared towards clans with a lot of players. The Net points system, whilst attempting to achieve a semblance of qualitative measure, clearly favours clans with 15+ players. There needs to be a more qualitative scoring system.

In addition, the points system is flawed in that a defeat is a double whammy … you lose the same amount of points as your opponent wins, whether you lose 7-6 or 7-1. There has to be some ‘compensation’ for the losing clan depending on games won.

Each year there is an element of ‘points sandbagging’. For example, ‘some clans’ gave up chasing IVV months ago. Their Net points haven’t changed much in the past 2 months, allowing the Bads to go past. The reason is that ‘some clans’ have been spinning out challenges that are won, thereby not claiming the points in 2021. Just watch how many net wins ‘some clans’ have in January for challenges that really relate to 2022.

I believe that the clan system is RHP’s sole differentiator from the other chess sites. Without it, RHP will struggle to thrive. I believe that making some radical changes and stopping ‘some clans’ from systemically abusing the system would make the clan system fairer and thereby encourage more clans to be formed and fewer clans to be lost.

Of course, just my opinion, but from someone who has spent a lot of time understanding the dynamics of the clan system over the past 12 months, and who has been able to work around the failings and still prove that the sandbaggers can be beaten.

Eitherway, good luck all you clan leaders for 2022. You all do a great job!
  2. Here
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 11:00
    @Maxtheminnow
    I have been saying this for ages now
    It's nice to see someone else with the same thoughts
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 18:12
    @maxtheminnow said
    While I still believe that the Clan system is the best chess community (Chess.com & Lichess don’t have anything that compares), it is obvious to me that it has become flawed and hence open to abuse. I say this from a position of having no axe to grind given IVV has just finished as top clan of 2021.

I see the number of clans have reduced to 5 pages, where at one stage ...[text shortened]... aggers can be beaten.

Eitherway, good luck all you clan leaders for 2022. You all do a great job!
    All this is old ground and it's not the whole story.
    Another factor is apathy among clan members.
    I ran the Yorkshire Laikers for about 4 years I think.
    When I took over from the previous incumbent I tried to get the clan more active by instigating a league table within the clan,sending out a newsletter with the clans results and monthly performance plus a forecast of points we were likely to lose/gain in uncompleted games.
    Apart from a few members I got no feedback.
    I managed to pass on the leadership to 64squaresofpain (Zak)who did the same thing for 4 or 5 years.
    Same result.Difference is,despite trying for most of 2021 he cannot persuade anyone to take the reins.
    Zak doesn't have the time to put the work in mounting and vetting challenges to the same level as we both have done for many years so I fear the Yorkshire Laikers will be yet another clan to fall by the wayside.
    Besides the points mentioned ,for a clan to be successful it needs commitment from the members.It'll be interesting to see if anyone complains to Zak this year about not getting many clan games.Somehow, I doubt it
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    02 Jan '22 12:05
    @venda

5 years you had it buddy! 2012-2016
    I've now entered year 6 (2017-2022) and have been trying to pass it on for over a year!

No takers, so I've come to a compromise...
    I'll keep it going, but only casually (no stats, newsletters, tables etc.)
    Challenges will also be started far less frequently and vetting will be relaxed a little.

Only one player wrote in with a complaint,
    one other player just left and joined a different clan!

Anyway, hope you get better soon Ian.
    Thanks for all the competitive challenges, we beat each other plentifully!

Cheers,
    Zak

p.s. as for the clan system, it's always going to be flawed, so I gave up caring ages ago 🙂
  5. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    02 Jan '22 23:15
    @Maxtheminnow

Well said, I agree 👍
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '22 08:55
    I’m reminded of posters moaning in the General Forum about their opponent winding down the clock by moving slowly. The time rules are accepted at the start by both players and are the same for everyone. The clan league rules are the same for everyone.

Also what’s the point of writing lengthy essays in here when the person who can change the rules is Russ.
  7. Here
    Moves
    03 Jan '22 20:08
    @divegeester said
    I’m reminded of posters moaning in the General Forum about their opponent winding down the clock by moving slowly. The time rules are accepted at the start by both players and are the same for everyone. The clan league rules are the same for everyone.

Also what’s the point of writing lengthy essays in here when the person who can change the rules is Russ.
    You write in here ,hoping to get Russ to get off of his @@@@ and do something about it
  8. Here
    Moves
    04 Jan '22 18:40
    @padger
    All the thumbs down have not given a reason so I don't count them

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree