1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 18:27
    @very-rusty said
    Is this your opinion as you have a two man so called clan?

Or do you condone the cheating going on by a certain Clan?

-VR
    If I stopped to answer every dog that barks, I would probably still be sitting in my chair. 😉
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 May '19 18:58
    @caesar-salad said
    If I stopped to answer every dog that barks, I would probably still be sitting in my chair. 😉
    Obviously you may not answer ever dogs bark, but certainly know how to avoid answering reasonable questions.

-VR
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 19:34
    @very-rusty said
    Is this your opinion as you have a two man so called clan?

Or do you condone the cheating going on by a certain Clan?

-VR
    Very well, Mister Rusty. I'd be happy to respond, but I wish your referents were more specific. The penultimate post on page 3, written by me, contains some statements of fact, some hearsay, and a supposition that includes a nice metaphor.

I don't think any of those could be called an opinion per se.

As for your second question, has it been objectively determined that a strategy used by a certain Clan is cheating? If that were the case (and I don't believe it is), then of course I would not condone that behavior.

But if it is only unwritten rules that are being broken, then the logical fallacy of appealing to authority is further compounded by an appeal to unwritten authority. So, what would be a fair way to adjudicate this matter?

Sorry to respond with additional questions, in the manner of certain forum piqueurs. You may consider my questions to be rhetorical if you like.

As for condoning that strategy in the latter case, where there might be a breach of social mores albeit unwritten, I will say this:

Despite my previous withdrawal of support in response to the surprising manners of certain parties and paranoiacs, and despite the obviously self-serving nature of a certain clan bringing these objections to the fore, I would agree that anyone resigning any game early for any reason other than a clearly lost position or a real-life emergency (storm, severe medical issue, death in the family, etc.) is not being fair to the player on the other side of the board who has begun the game in good faith that it would be played to completion.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 19:524 edits

Removed by poster

5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 May '19 20:081 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    Very well, Mister Rusty. I'd be happy to respond, but I wish your referents were more specific. The penultimate post on page 3, written by me, contains some statements of fact, some hearsay, and a supposition that includes a nice metaphor.

I don't think any of those could be called an opinion per se.

As for your second question, has it been objectively deter ...[text shortened]... other side of the board who has begun the game in good faith that it would be played to completion.
    I'll refer you to the thread on "Mctayto tournament games hard fought"....Why not decide for yourself?

-VR
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 20:161 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I'll refer you to the thread on "Mctayto tournament games hard fought"....Why not decide for yourself?

-VR
    But I have decided for myself. Please see three posts above ["Very well ..."].

I should mention that I have "snap-to-grid" turned off and my view falls somewhere between the positions of certain clans, precisely in that area where they struggle to avoid agreement.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 May '19 20:18
    @caesar-salad said
    But I have decided for myself. Please see three posts above ["Very well ..."].

I should mention that I have "snap-to-grid" turned off and my view falls somewhere between the positions of certain clans, precisely in that area where they struggle to avoid agreement.
    Why not make the question simple for you CS, do you think Mctayto is throwing games to lower his rating or not!!! All that takes is simple 'yes', or 'no'!~

-VR
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 20:311 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Why not make the question simple for you CS, do you think Mctayto is throwing games to lower his rating or not!!! All that takes is simple 'yes', or 'no'!~

-VR
    Obviously "yes" -- in fact Mctayto says so himself -- but that is a different question than the ones asked above about legality or fairness.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 May '19 21:17
    @caesar-salad said
    Obviously "yes" -- in fact Mctayto says so himself.
    Thank you...See how easy that was! 😉

-VR
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 May '19 20:29
    @caesar-salad said

As for condoning that strategy in the latter case, where there might be a breach of social mores albeit unwritten, I will say this:

Despite my previous withdrawal of support in response to the surprising manners of certain parties and paranoiacs, and despite the obviously self-serving nature of a certain clan bringing these objections to the fore, I would agree that ...[text shortened]... other side of the board who has begun the game in good faith that it would be played to completion.
    Opinions like this are laughable for several reasons.

First, you typically display the consistency of a drunk trying to walk a straight line.

Second, your assertion that resigning any game is unfair to the opposition is totally absurd because the opposition does nothing but gain from the transaction. Where is he/she shortchanged at all? Do you think they would have been better served if they had played the game out and tossed it away due to bad play?

Third, your obvious lack of experience in OTB tournaments and play as well as postal tournaments and play is evident because these resignations occur all of the time, and for reasons other than clan chess.

The part you seem to lose the grip on is the fact that the games in question that are being resigned are meaningless. I will repeat that...they are meaningless. The outcome of the challenge has already been decided, meaning they were already won or lost. Everyone and their mother already agree that the rating system is not anywhere close to realistic, so you are retarding nothing by the resignations. And, if the rating system was magically transformed to something that was realistic and accurate, then you could say any game that is resigned for whatever reason does not count toward the rating. This is not a major deal, but several dissenters have tried to make it one.

I will wait with baited breath for your intelligent and witty reply, but I expect to be disappointed on both counts because of your plethora of prior responses.
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    29 May '19 23:21
    @shortcircuit said
    Opinions like this are laughable for several reasons.

First, you typically display the consistency of a drunk trying to walk a straight line.

Second, your assertion that resigning any game is unfair to the opposition is totally absurd because the opposition does nothing but gain from the transaction. Where is he/she shortchanged at all? Do you think they would have ...[text shortened]... y reply, but I expect to be disappointed on both counts because of your plethora of prior responses.
    Hey there, Shorty! "Bark bark bark" indeed! Who's a good boy? 😉

(I responded as soon as I could for the sake of your oxygenation.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree