1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    01 Jan '20 17:28
    I get a sense of de ja vu here, but I was wondering if there was sufficient interest in reviving the clan league any time soon?

If I recall, the one clan that kept winning everything was Denmark, because they were full of high rated players, but they have since disbanded.

Can we say that we're now in a position for the clan league to be brought back and get some variety in competition again?

Comments welcome!

Cheers,
    ~64
  2. Blackpool
    Moves
    02 Jan '20 13:48
    @64squaresofpain

The think I enjoy most of all on RHP is the clan leagues.
    Not only are you playing your own games, you are also watching other games your team mates are playing in.

Bring it back asap I say.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 15:48
    @64squaresofpain said
    I get a sense of de ja vu here, but I was wondering if there was sufficient interest in reviving the clan league any time soon?

If I recall, the one clan that kept winning everything was Denmark, because they were full of high rated players, but they have since disbanded.

Can we say that we're now in a position for the clan league to be brought back and get some variety in competition again?

Comments welcome!

Cheers,
    ~64
    I would love it.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 18:59
    As I recall Russ reduced the numbers of players per team required to compete in the leagues because it was difficult to fill the places but this had only limited success
    When I was leader of the Laikers I know I always struggled to find enough volunteers to put a team in and we are quite a large clan.
    It must be difficult and time consuming for the admins to police the leagues so I'm not surprised they have been shelved, mainly I suspect through lack of interest
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 19:12
    @venda said
    As I recall Russ reduced the numbers of players per team required to compete in the leagues because it was difficult to fill the places but this had only limited success
    When I was leader of the Laikers I know I always struggled to find enough volunteers to put a team in and we are quite a large clan.
    It must be difficult and time consuming for the admins to police the leagues so I'm not surprised they have been shelved, mainly I suspect through lack of interest
    Yes, I think that was exactly what happened to the Clan League and why.

Personally I never liked them as they appeared to mainly for higher ranked players which there is a small percentage of when you take into consideration all the active players who play.

-VR
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 21:44
    clan leagues are gone
    siege is gone
    blitz is gone
    we're shrinking
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 22:30
    @lemondrop said
    clan leagues are gone
    siege is gone
    blitz is gone
    we're shrinking
    Why have them if there is no demand?

Sure a few would be interested but not enough to make it worth while.

-VR
  8. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 22:35
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    exactly my point
  9. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 06:03
    @blackpoolmad said
    @64squaresofpain

The think I enjoy most of all on RHP is the clan leagues.
    Not only are you playing your own games, you are also watching other games your team mates are playing in.

Bring it back asap I say.
    Can teams with two really good players and four decent players, the rest average players up to twenty players compete and have a chance to win?

Or do you have to be 2000 rated players to win it all. I would ask my clan to join in. We finished 4th in the clan competition but that is different correct? I think Five to eight people would love League play.

Michael
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 11:41
    @vespin said
    Can teams with two really good players and four decent players, the rest average players up to twenty players compete and have a chance to win?

Or do you have to be 2000 rated players to win it all. I would ask my clan to join in. We finished 4th in the clan competition but that is different correct? I think Five to eight people would love League play.

Michael
    I believe that is the point trying to be made. If only 5-8 people want to play in League play is it really worth it? I think many more would have to be interested.

-VR
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '19
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 16:17
    It looks like there are 8 clan leagues. Maybe a simplification is part of the answer.

1 table. 5 players per side. 5 sides per division. 4 matches. 3/7

That's it. Start there.

Maybe a side with 5 players over 1700 wins. So be it. Everyone else gets 8 good games against players who want to play. Not everyone is Liverpool or City, but the players at Newcastle are still having a good time (well maybe not today).

Clan League 2020
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 04:46
    @vespin said

Michael
    This sounds like a sound conception to me. All I would add is that perhaps we could cap the average team rating at something like 1500 or so, which would require having lower rated players to balance out the higher ones.

The various US Amateur Team Championships are based on 4 man teams, and the average rating of the 4 players must be under 2200. We could use the same principle, just with the 5-8 players suggested, and a lower rating cap.
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 09:51
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Then it might be recommended that promotion and solicitation are in order.

This is the first I've heard of a "Clan League". I've been here since 2015.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 21:481 edit
    @wolfe63 said
    Then it might be recommended that promotion and solicitation are in order.

This is the first I've heard of a "Clan League". I've been here since 2015.
    Hit the down arrow by your avatar then my settings....This was a feature before you joined don't know if it will show up on yours so I have copied pasted what is on mine in settings

Clan Leagues
    League Clan
    Please select your league clan. You may only play league games for one clan during a league season.
    Note : To stop your selection for further league games, please select 'no league clan'.
    No league clan
    Metallica

-VR
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Jan '20 09:56
    I have quite a bit of work to do on the existing web site code soon (pure maintenance - updating legacy code), and to simplify this process, some older underused features were going to be cut - including leagues! So this post is timely.

Give me a few days, I will reset all entered teams, then broadcast out an announcement and see what happens. If there is a poor response, the leagues may be removed in future. Otherwise, it will not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree