1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 13:542 edits
    Our forum posting guidelines have been updated to explicitly spell out what should be obvious - hate speech is forbidden.

Hate speech is not permitted. Content promoting violence or hatred against individuals or groups based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, caste, sex, gender, gender identity and serious disease or disability is forbidden.

Forum Posting Guidelines updated

If you find this unacceptable, please refrain from posting to these forums.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 14:01
    The method of reporting forum posts has now been changed.

Use the exclamation mark/pling as before, but then select from the available reasons for alerting the post. A further comment can be added if required.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 15:59
    @russ said
    Our forum posting guidelines have been updated to explicitly spell out what should be obvious - hate speech is forbidden.

[quote]Hate speech is not permitted. Content promoting violence or hatred against individuals or groups based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, caste, sex, gender, gender identity and serious disease or ...[text shortened]... Guidelines updated[/]

All of my recent posts have been deleted. The subject matter o my threads meets the posting guidelines. I object to this bias censorship!
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 16:19
    @russ said

[quote]Hate speech is not permitted. Content promoting violence or hatred against individuals or groups based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, caste, sex, gender, gender identity and serious disease or ...[text shortened]... Guidelines updated[/]

I like the new way of alerting a post. A thumbs up.

-VR
  5. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 17:40
    @Russ

Thank you for your positive and prompt action.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 06:00
    @metal-brain said
    All of my recent posts have been deleted. The subject matter o my threads meets the posting guidelines. I object to this bias censorship!
    You are at liberty to post to some other web site.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 06:05
    @Russ

TU from me, Russ.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 07:16
    @russ said

It needed doing.

But also thanks to the admin and moderators for allowing the forums to flow largely without punitive over-moderation.

I hope these well intended and well meant new guidelines won’t choke the cut and thrust of [even] the heated debates.

Thanks.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 07:18
    @russ said
    There is a pop-up with a link to a blog post called "Chess in December 1983 (Oh What a Night)" permanently obscuring part of the Debates Forum top page. Can't get rid of it. Visiting the blog entry does not make it go away. I use Chrome on my PC.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 07:18
    @moonbus said
    You are at liberty to post to some other web site.
    It is important to encourage freedom of opinion in order to facilitate meaningful debate, or at least enjoyable juxtapositions.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 09:13
    @divegeester said
    It is important to encourage freedom of opinion in order to facilitate meaningful debate, or at least enjoyable juxtapositions.
    I agree. It is possible to have meaningful debate only when people address each other in a civil manner. Addressing a co-debater as "The hateful arrogant lying sexist racist troll <insert name here>" is not a civil manner of address and does not facilitate meaningful debate. Neither does addressing a co-debater as "idiot!"
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:291 edit
    @divegeester said
    Well said Dive!

I did have to look up 'juxtapositions'! 😉

-VR
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:431 edit
    @fmf said
    There is a pop-up with a link to a blog post called "Chess in December 1983 (Oh What a Night)" permanently obscuring part of the Debates Forum top page. Can't get rid of it. Visiting the blog entry does not make it go away. I use Chrome on my PC.
    I also use Chrome and don't have that problem. Although sometimes a blog will come up I think it is from the guy that does them on this site and I just X it out and away it goes. Doesn't happen everytime, just once and a while when I log on.

-VR
  14. Germany
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 16:16
    @russ said

Can you clarify what falls under hate speech according to this policy? I reported a post overtly promoting white supremacy, but it was not removed under this new policy.
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:47
    @fmf said
    Go to the Only Chess forum, from which the offending pop-up originates, and close it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree