1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 14:211 edit
    If an account is seen to be using a "disposable email account" then the account is likely to be removed.

We appreciate they can be useful to avoid spam when signing up for services you are unfamiliar with, but it is also often a strong indicator of the site terms of service not being adhered too. (Multi accounts, for example)
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 15:50
    @russ said
    If an account is seen to be using a "disposable email account" then the account is likely to be removed.

We appreciate they can be useful to avoid spam when signing up for services you are unfamiliar with, but it is also often a strong indicator of the site terms of service not being adhered too. (Multi accounts, for example)
    For me, this is most obvious when a high rated player loses to a provisional player. The provisional account shoots up to 3000 in one game, is undefeated until the provisional rating matures, and then crashes out to another provisional player, where the process is repeated.

In reality, players over 2100 don't play provisional players, there is absolutely nothing in it for them. If they win, they gain no rating at all, if they lose, it is to a 1200 rated player who is obviously pretty strong.

Are you able to create any stats about live games between players of a certain rating? I would red flag any open invite game played between a 2100+ and a p1200 (possibly even expand that to any provisional rated opponents full stop, depending on numbers). I would hazard a guess that 90% of the games (at least) would be multi-accounts.

Either that or do a check on 2100+ rated accounts that regularly play provisional accounts. One or two games, if you have a friend who has just joined or something, fair enough. If someone gets to 2599 (for example) by playing 15 move walkovers against 2200 opposition, then it should be pretty obvious that they are cheating..
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 23:10
    @Russ

Does this mean that if someone opens an account named "disposable@gmail.com", it is liable to be deleted?
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 16:161 edit
    @moonbus

No. Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo and other free email services are all fine. The problem is with email services who provide masses of free email addresses that all resolve to a single account.

Which is very useful for a spammer who would otherwise be prevented from creating many accounts because of email verification.

More on Wiki about Disposable email address, if you want to read more.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Dec '18 04:50
    @Marinkatomb
    I usually have 5 Welcome games going on at one time, all of which are obviously provisional. I am currently below 2000, but I have been as high as 2120.

I would agree with you if ratings were the only reason people played, but it isn't. I care about my OTB rating very much, but I don't really care at all about my online rating, and I use the site as a practice area/testbed for fun.

What you say may well be true, but I can attest that I am in the other 10%!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree